* 1/3 Cup chopped onion
* 1 tsp. minced garlic
* 1 tsp. curry powder
* 2 tbsp butter or margarine
* 1 cup pureed pumpkin (or about 1/2 can of pumpkin)
* 1/4 tsp nutmeg
* 1/8 tsp. sugar
* 2 cups veggie broth (or can use chicken broth)
* 1 1/2 cups milk
* 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrow root or tapioca powder (use as thickening agent)
* 2 tbsp heavy cream
* (optional) chopped chives (as decoration)
1. In large pan cook onion, garlic, and curry in the butter or margarine for a few minutes until onion is tender.
2. Add pumpkin, nutmeg, sugar and the bay leaf.
3. Stir in the broth and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
5. Take out the bay leaf.
6. Stir in 1 cup of the mild and cook over low heat for a few minutes.
7. In another bowl, stir together the remaining milk and the cornstarch until dissolved, then add it to the pan.
8. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
9. Cook a couple more minutes.
To serve: Swirl the cream on top, and garnish with chives. This can also be frozen after it cools. In the freezer it will be good for up to 3 months.
Back to Holiday Recipes